A well groomed man always turns heads. Grooming and personal care are becoming more and more important to men. For decades, the attention has been on the grooming habits of women, now more men are aware of the incredible benefits of grooming.
Advancements in grooming and changes of attitudes have allowed men to take care of their hair, skin and nails in ways that men never have in the past. The male grooming market is a $3.5 billion industry and growing especially among baby boomers and generation X-ers.
It’s never too late to develop a grooming regime. A simple everyday skin care regime is essential for a great image. Look and feel your best every day with these grooming tips:
- It is important to determine the type of skin you have in order to practice proper daily skin care. Skin types can include normal, dry, oily, sensitive and even a combination of types. Based on your skin type, you should purchase products that are appropriate for your skin type. Wash your face on a regular basis with a facial cleanser. Do not use soap on your face as most body soaps are too strong for facial use.
- After cleansing apply a light moisturizer to keep your skin rejuvenated, refreshed and wrinkle free. Using a moisturizer with a SPF is great for sunburn prevention, premature aging and will lower the risk of cancer.
- Exfoliate twice a week to remove dead skin cells and promote healthy skin cell growth. Use a mild scrub to eradicate dead skin cells and open up the pores of your skin to prepare it for a close shave.
- A smooth shave is always nice to look at and enhances your image. The best time to shave is after your shower. Using a good shaving cream and a good quality razor, shave against the direction of the hair growth. The technical term for razor bumps is pseudofolliculitis barbae (PFB) and the primary cause is shaving with a dull blade. The best way to deal with razor bumps and ingrown hairs is to develop a before and after shaving system.
- Dental hygiene is just as important as taking care of your body; brush and floss your teeth daily. You will be able to smile knowing there is no embarrassing food particles between your teeth. Keep up with scheduling your dentist appointments (preferably twice a year or more) for cleanings.
- Maintaining a flattering hair cut is important to a man’s image. A good clean hair cut will always create a positive impression and maximum appeal. Use a shampoo that is appropriate for your hair type to keep it in optimum condition. If you are prone to dandruff it’s worth investing in medicated shampoo to treat it. Product build up, a dry scalp and even stress are just a few reasons why dandruff occurs. Balding hair looks best short, very short. Never comb long hair over the top of a balding head.
- Grooming is incomplete without particular care to the hands and nails. Keep your nails short, trimmed and dirt free; also remember not to bite them. A man’s fingernails should be no longer than the skin on his fingertip. Don’t forget to use a good moisturizer to prevent dry, chapped hands. Pay attention to cuticles and hangnails. Buffing your nails is a great way to keep them healthy without looking artificial. Treat yourself to a monthly manicure and pedicure.
- Leaving the house looking and smelling good will give you self confidence, and that air of command or confidence makes you very attractive. Fragrance is a personal preference, and you really must find the one that works best for you. Do not use too much, less is more when it comes to fragrance. Excessive use can trigger allergies and other ailments in some individuals. A subtle fragrance is more pleasing to the senses than an overwhelming one.
- Drinking plenty of water is good for your health and for your skin. Drink at least 8 glasses of water each day to keep your skin hydrated. Water is proven to help keep your skin clear and healthy. The human body is 55% to 78% water depending on body size. Every cell in your body needs water from head to toe, that is why it is so important to drink enough fluid.
- Remove any visible hair in the ears and nostrils. Take care of your eyebrows and trim them occasionally. You can have them shaped professionally to “open up your eyes”. Remember to brush them up before you leave for the day. Ensure trimming and upkeep is part of your grooming regime.
- Dry chapped lips are an image breaker. Your lips have fewer than half the cellular layers of the rest of your face, and no sebaceous glands to provide protective body oil. When moisture in lips decreases, lips become dry and cracked. To keep your lips looking great use a good lip balm to prevent chapping
First impressions are powerful! They influence. Impeccable grooming is part of the success equation; develop a simple grooming regime today stay on top of your game.
Charmaine Mills is the President and Founder of Advance Image and Etiquette Consulting; a company committed to providing valuable information and tools to assisting individuals in attaining greater confidence and personal effectiveness. Her mission is to empower and assist individuals to project an image that marks them as a leader and a winner. She believes passionately in the enormous, untapped potential that resides within each person and she is committed to providing individuals and corporations with tools of knowledge and skills they can use to unlock their potential. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.206.6846 for additional information. Visit the website for a complete listing of services http://www.advanceimageconsulting.ca.
~ First class image coaching/consulting for men and women. Face to face meetings, telephone coaching and virtual/online services available for domestic and international clients. ~